On 03-Jan-02 Michael R. Dilworth wrote:

>       Read up on uuencode...  Binary attachments are encoded.

as I recall (it has been awhile) uuencoding (as well as base64 encoding,
common with mime'd attachments) will add ~ 34% overhead.

which is to say that a 40mb attachment will result a mailfile size of ~55mb.

Other differences between sending as mail and ftping (other than the ones
already mentioned) include:

        sending as mail will force all transfers thru /var/spool/mqueue, which
        might not be setup to take on such a daunting filesize. Next the file
        is copied to the users inbox, so there must be an allocation of space
        in that directory/partition as well.

        There will be need of space to save the decoded attachment to (plus
        the fact that some decoders make use of a temporary file). That is to
        say that even if you use the mail reader to decode the attachment
        "invisibly" for you, please realize that the mail reader physically
        decoded the file, and saved it on disk in some temporary file, thus
        (at the minimum) doubling your disk space requirements.

        most e-mail users will save mail (really dumb for attachments that
        are files located on the system elsewhere), so you need the storage
        space there as well.

        When users use ftp, they control the final destination, and there is
        no intermediate directory (like /var/spool/mqueue) requirement, and
        there is no double (or worse) copying.

ftp, and mail are NOT the same. sending large files by e-mail requires
considerably more resources.

-Greg

E-Mail: Gregory Hosler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 04-Jan-02
Time: 10:09:05

     then each of us still has one object.
     then each of us now has two ideas.