From: ABrady [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Thursday, January 10, 2002 3:55 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: 2 network cards

On Wed, 9 Jan 2002 20:02:32 -0800 (PST)
David Talkington <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> implied:

> >> That is interesting, since I have two NIC cards, different brands,
> >> and when I have rebooted, nothing moved.
> >
> >And I have 4 different brands of NICs. Any combination in which I had
> >2 of them would stay the same until I upgraded the kernel. They would
> >then switch ether postions. I finally swapped the cards in their
> >slots and had no more trouble with them until I went to 7.2 and back
> >to 7.1 (still using the same 2 NICs that were working fine for ages).
> >I haven't gotten around to fixing it yet, but no hurry. My kludge
> >works fine under all conditions.
>
> How about this in /etc/modules.conf:
>
> alias eth0 <modulename>
> alias eth1 <othermodulename>
>
> No ambiguity there.  It's a little trickier if you have two cards that
> need the same module, but this command:
>
> /sbin/modprobe smc-ultra io=0x280,0x300
>
> loads my SMC Ultras in a predictable order reliably.

You mean like this?

alias eth0 3c59x
alias eth1 ne2k-pci

This fails at boot currently, I do the ol' rmmod/insmod trick in
rc.local and it works just great.

I can fix it when I get off my butt and do so. But my rc.local trickery
works and I don't have the motivation to get moving on it right now
(neck pains, too much overtime, too many other things to tweak and play
with).

--
An NT server can be run by any idiot, and usually is.