On Thursday 10 January 2002 02:18 pm, dave brett wrote:
> I have little bits of time over a few months now and cannot figure out
> how basic network services work on rh7.2.
>
> The problem I am having is the following: I upgraded the harddrive in
> my laptop.  At the same time I installed 7.2 from 6.2.  I normally use
> DHCP to get an IP address for the computer.  The first problem is if I
> forget to connect the ethernet cable, before turning on the computer, I
> cannot figure out how to make the computer request an IP address.
> There is nothing wrong with the computer, because when I connect the
> cable and restart everthing works.  Everything I have tried, which is a
> long list does not seem to work.  If I run "ifconfig" after forgetting
> to connect to ethernet cable the only interface is "lo" If I try using
> the control-panel to activate the ethernet interface it hangs (It may
> be taking a long time and has not timed out, I have not left it to find
> out)
>
> The second problem is I use my computer for troubleshooting and will
> change the IP address to a static IP address.  I have not been able to
> make this work either.
>
> Would somebody please explain to me how to do these.

After booting without the ethernet cable connected, have you tried having
a look at the output of ps ax? Are you using dhcpcd or pump (or perhaps
something else) for a dhcp client?

I use pump here, I like it, and normally have no problems with it.
However, when it fails to configure the interface, it doesn't seem to
exit reliably. If you try to bring up the interface manually, a second
instance of pump will often start. If you also have dhcpcd installed,
when pump fails dhcpcd will try. Needless to say, the end result of all
that is no networking. (I normally see this behavior only if there is a
cable outage, and pump tries to renew it's lease during the outage.)

You might try booting without the cable, and then do:
'ps ax | grep pump'
'ps ax | grep dhcp'

If there is any output, kill the tasks and then connect the cable.
'/sbin/ifup eth0' should bring up the interface.

Hope that helps,

- -D

- --

pgp key:  http://www.tuxfan.homeip.net:8080/pgpkey.txt