Well, I'm not sure what the problem is, but did you make a boot/rescue
disk when you installed?  If not, you could download Tom's Root Boot
disk instead.  Then perhaps you could boot from the floppy and learn
something.

BTW, you can find Tom's Root Boot disk at

http://www.toms.net/rb

Regards,
Ben

--
Ben Logan: ben at wblogan dot net
OpenPGP Key KeyID: A1ADD1F0

Always leave room to add an explanation if it doesn't work out.