Might I suggest reading the installation docs provided by nVidia's web
site?

Hence:

If you already have an XF86Config file working with a different driver
(such as the 'nv' driver), then all you need to do is find the relevant
Device section and replace the line:

        Driver "nv"

with

        Driver "nvidia"

In the Module section, make sure you have:

        Load   "glx"

You should also remove the following lines:

        Load  "dri"
        Load  "GLcore"

Looks like you didn't do this.  Here, let me give you the URL :)

http://205.158.109.140/XFree86_40/1.0-2313/README.txt

-Rob