If not SUSE then Slackware isn't bad.  I've messed with it awhile back
and my experience was positive.

Also FreeBSD isn't bad.  I'm currently working with a FreeBSD system
(version 4.4) and so far it's been stable and runs what I want just fine.

The ONLY thing I HATED about FreeBSD was the installer.  I've butchered
it (the install) my first couple of tries.  On my third attempt I simply
let it decide how to setup the kernel / hardware.  Worked fine at that
point :-)

I just hope AOL doesn't screw up RedHat should they decide to acquire
them.  RedHat IMHO is one of the better packages out there.
 Installation is very easy and use of the product overall is easy for
the newbie to the hard core user/developer.

/me nudges AOL... you hearing any of this guys?

Frank