doug piper wrote:

>I will do a fresh install of 7.2. I have no problem backing up files on my Linux
>hard drive although I haven't done so previously as I can still mount all of my
>linux drives and backup  any data which is important to my Windows drive using
>Linux rescue. But it does seem kinda extreme.

No it isn't.  What's "extreme" is trying to leapfrog 4 OS releases and
expect to have no trouble.  "Upgrading" is always waste of time, and
in this case, it's just plain silly.  If you've outgrown 6.0, why are
you afraid of wiping it clean?  If you like your system the way it is,
why are you changing it now, after hanging on to 6.0 for so long?  If
you're afraid of losing settings and data, then you've done a poor job
of managing your system anyway.  Either you want a fresh start, or you
don't.  Trying to have it both ways changes nothing for the better;
instead, it buys you the worst of both worlds.  Kinda like midsize
front-wheel-drive sedans.

As Ed pointed out, no sane sysadmin relies on an "upgrade path".  The
operating system is disposable and expendable.  You should be able to
completely trash it, or be rooted, and have it running again good as
new in half an hour, either with the same or a new OS version, or roll
it back just as quickly if you don't like the results.  If you can't,
you're at the mercy of system failures.  If you can't replace your
engine without reupholstering the interior of the car, the engineer
has done something seriously wrong!  (Really gettin' busy with those
automotive analogies, ain't we?)

"Upgrades" are for consumers who don't understand their systems, don't
back up their data, and just want new features.  They're not for
production systems.  "Upgrade paths" serve to sell new software to
individuals who don't think they're brave enough to scrape the hard
drive clean, not for system administrators with better things to do
than babysit operating systems.

Put your data on one filesystem, and the OS on several others.  Have
backups.  Have copies of your config files.  You'll be free!  You can
switch Red Hat versions, change Linux distributions, or even switch to
BSD in a heartbeat, or do all three and roll it back to where you
started in a couple of hours.

Stop wasting your time.  Back up your data.  Save /etc.  And nuke that
puppy!  We'll be here to help.

That is my humble opinion.

- -d

- --