Kertesz, Miklos wrote:

>I use IBM Thinkpad A21e with W2k/redhat-7.2 dual system (with ext2 for
>linux). In linux I have serious problems with file access. Some files
>cannot be read, and some times file system errors detected during boot.
>Usually the first files not found or not found correct are parts of the
>gnome or sawmill, but even files which I had not used (at least
>intentionally) could be found corrupted during file system check. The
>problem could occur anywhere in the hard disc. The "lost" files are often
>accessible after next boot.

Well, there may be a bazillion reasons for it, but I can offer a few
of things to consider:

- - I don't think you can safely conclude that hardware isn't at fault
just because one OS has trouble and the other doesn't.  After all,
they do not both occupy the same sectors on the disk.

- - I also don't think you can safely conclude that hardware _is_ at
fault.  You haven't given us any reason to rule out corruption due to
improper shutdowns or failed suspend-resume cycles.  Use ext3; it
might help.

- - In my personal experience, IBM's mobile drives are to be eyed
warily.  I've yet to own one that performed without irregular and
unsettling head-crashing noises or outright failures (two of the
latter).  Then again, I don't baby my laptops; they really travel, and
every laptop I've actually owned (including a Thinkpad i1720, whose
drive made really frightening noises right out of the box, and died at
18 months) has had an IBM drive in it, so I've nothing to contrast the
MBTF with in practice.

So anyway ... you shouldn't trust my anecdotes, but maybe you should
take it down to single user and run badblocks on it overnight, and see
what you can find out?

I don't much care about mobile drive reliability anymore, because I
don't keep any crucial data on them, they're under warranty, and I
have spares in the closet.  As always, I'd recommend that you make
backups a delicious part of your nutritious breakfast, in any case.

- -d

- --
David Talkington

PGP key: http://www.prairienet.org/~dtalk/0xCA4C11AD.pgp