-----Message d'origine-----
De : [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]De la part de Ed Wilts
Envoye : jeudi 7 mars 2002 20:23
A : [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Objet : Re: confuse with errata to rpm nicely

On Thu, Mar 07, 2002 at 06:12:40PM +0100, Ismael Touama wrote:
> I am really disturbing with my linux learning, I read all the day severals
> doc to understand in order to do the things kind properly.
> According to the vulnerability in Netfilter, I say to me cool my first
> update
> (or upgrade - don't know-) with rpm command line. But I read in /errata
> (CAN-2002-0060)
> that I needed to be up to date with these rpm to apply this one. What the
> hell !!

> PS:this what disturbed me
> "...Before applying this update, make sure all previously released errata
> relevant to your system have been applied..."

All the Red Hat errata say that.  Sometimes they mean it and sometimes they
don't.  What you have to realize is that almost all of errata fix security
or
major bugs, so you really should apply them and keep yourself up to date.
Rarely do errata offer new features or upgrades to specific packages -
that's
why, for example, Red Hat patched php3 for Red Hat Linux 6.2 rather than go
straight to php4.  You get much better compatibility this way.

So, the bottom line is that you try to patch just netfilter and see if you
get
any dependency failures, and if not, you're done.  If you do get a
dependency
failure, then apply the dependencies as Red Hat suggested.  You should,
however, at your earliest convenience, apply all the errata.  This is no
different than any other major computer OS vendor.

What Red Hat really needs to produce is 7.2-1 which has all the errata in it
up to a certain date and let people download the iso and do upgrades that
way.
Especially for new installations in areas with poor network connectivity,
this
would save many hours or even days of work.  You know, almost like service
pak 1...

--
Ed Wilts, Mounds View, MN, USA
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]