On Fri, 8 Mar 2002, Paul Hamm wrote:

[snippage occurred here]

> Oh and I am no expert on how to make a custom distro the first time I looked
> into it was in Late January.  If you can mount an iso, rm, mv, edit 1 file
> "comps" and run the command "># genhdlist --withnumbers /location/of/disc1
> /location/of/disc2" you can make a custom distro that works great.  You will
> need to use 700mb discs though as the patches boost the size of the iso
> files.  If you don't want to burn the additional cds just copy the contents
> of the RPMS directory from disc2 to disc1.  Share that directory.  Then you
> can use the  boot floppy or original 7.2 boot CD and do a network install
> from http, nfs, or ftp.

My take on this was to read the RedHat-CDROM-Howto and implement the
"patched" not on a cd, but rather on an internal anonymous ftp server.
The process is automated using the perl "mirror" script, along with
modified scripts from the Howto referenced above.  It dispenses with the 3
day old obsoleted cd collection, and each install is assured to be current
at the time of install.