From: Ed Wilts [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Friday, March 08, 2002 12:32 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: confuse with errata to rpm nicely

On Fri, Mar 08, 2002 at 10:08:58AM -0500, Paul Hamm wrote:
> Err Ed how is downloading 4 iso images on a regular basis for people with
> slow connections going to help them out?  rsync running on cron will
> download all the updates available in the middle of the night that you
have
> not already got.  And replacing the old packages with the new ones in an
iso
> image is not that difficult after that first batch of patches.

What I suggested is for Red Hat to release (say) 7.2-1.  This will have 7.2
plus the current errata and make that available in a single iso set.  Then
people who want to install tomorrow would download the 7.2-1 isos instead of
7.2 isos and hundreds of megs of errata.  My suggestion would not help
people
that are already running 7.2.  My suggestion would *NOT* replace errata but
simply provide a more convenient mechanism for new installers.

7.2-1 would report itself to the system as 7.2 and would look identical to a
7.2 system that had been upgraded using current errata.  The only reason
they'd
number them 7.2-1 would be to differentiate how current the errata are.
Perhaps they'd just call the iso 7.2-2002.03 or something weird like that.

I strongly suspect that if you ask Red Hat or any of their mirrors how often
the 7.2 isos are being downloaded that you'll find that they're regularly
accessed.  My suggestion would reduce download time for the clients and
reduce
the load on the servers, especially Red Hat's rhn servers.

--
Ed Wilts, Mounds View, MN, USA
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]