"Furnish, Trever G" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Would one be correct in assuming that you are in some sort of X interface
> when this problem is evident?  For example, an xterm, rxvt, eterm, etc?  On
> a recently updated system I don't see the same problems you do, but I'm
> accessing it via ssh not via an XFree86 based display.  It sounds like the

I did mention it in the OP:
 >> I suspect the X update to be the main thing causing changes.

 >> I'm seeing different behavior in vim, emacs and at an Xterm terminal
 >> with the keyboard and fonts that get selected.

[...]

> a "man -k keyboard" for places to get started.  Sorry I can't just hand you
> an easy recipe for a fix, but I don't currently have the problem to test a
> fix with. :-)  Perhaps this will ring a bell with someone else who still has
> this knowledge in cache...

Thanks for the tips.  I have a hunch this is some basic thing that was
changed with the update mentioned in OP, so a little reluctanct to
start fussing with settings that have been good for over a year.

Heres a small example of the problems that arise when you do:
I put this in .bashrc now to set erase = ^?:
      stty erase ^?
seems innoucuous enough and does fix the behaviour in vim.  But
unexpected things result, for example, when ssh into my own box from a
remote using scp to move files I get this now:

       stty: standard input: Invalid argument

So I fix bashrc with:
   if [ ! "SSH_TTY" ];then
      stty erase ^?
   fi
And away we go, who knows what other unexpected things will crop up.

Also while setting stty erase ^? fixed that perticualr thing.  At the
command line (in xterm) I used to be able to delete with delete key
too.   Now I just get tildes (~~~~~~)

One can see the keysym that is being sent by typing:
   cat <ENTER>
Then the key you want to know about.  Here I get `^[[3~'
by typeing <DEL>, but don't know what it was prior to updating.