At my highschool, we have been working on this, and lately we are starting
to see some success, if you have time i suggest it, but believe me this is
not for the ill hearted!\

~brandon

>From: Gordon Messmer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>Subject: Re: [REDHAT] Re: file server with linux
>Date: 21 Mar 2002 12:47:02 -0800
>
>On Thu, 2002-03-21 at 09:15, Ed Wilts wrote:
> > On Thu, Mar 21, 2002 at 09:37:25AM -0500, David Kramer wrote:
> > > On Thu, 21 Mar 2002, Scott Sharkey wrote:
> > >
> > > Today, there is only one valid reason for not using a Linux box with
>Samba
> > > to replace NT shares or Netware.
> >
> > [compatibility reason cut]
> >
> > Actually, there is a 2nd reason.  Linux with Samba simply does not have
>the
> > access control mechanisms that NT does, and this limits the granularity
>of
> > access.  For some businesses (like ours), this is a show stopper.  Linux
>ACL
> > support is being worked on, but it's not ready for prime time.
>
>Have you looked at XFS on Linux?  Using Samba on XFS (or ext3 with ACLs)
>should give you what you need:
>http://oss.sgi.com/projects/xfs/
>http://oss.sgi.com/projects/xfs/102_installer.html
>
>(Don't know much about these:)
>http://acl.bestbits.at/
>http://sourceforge.net/projects/linux-acl/

Brandon Caudle
15yr Old Avid Unix User (HP-UX,FreeBSD,Linux)
Larkhaven Golf Course
Charlotte, NC

"There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full." -- Henry
Kissinger