On Wed, 10 Apr 2002, christopher j bottaro wrote:

> hello,
> i used dateconfig to make an ntp.conf file, then i restarted ntpd and nothing
> seemed to happen.  my date and time are still the same (i.e. wrong).
>
> actually, on my machine with X, i used dateconfig.  then i installed ntpd via
> rpm on my non graphical machine and copied dateconfig's ntp.conf over to it.
> then i restarted ntpd via /etc/init.d/ntpd restart.  nothing happens.  it
> doesn't change my date/time on either machine.
>
> what am i doing wrong?
> thanks for the help,
> christopher
>
> P.S.  i'm using redhat 7.2

I asked about setting this up just a couple of days ago.  (And thanks to
those who replied in that thread!).

One person pointed out that the ntpd port (123 IIRC) needs to be open
through any firewall on your local server and client.  I am using lokkit
to configure ipchains firewalls on both machines.  I tried telling lokkit
to open that port on both the client and the server, but I was never able
to convince my local server and client to talk to each other.  Turning the
firewalls off on both machines allowed the ntp sync to work correctly.

I have an iptables firewall between me and the Internet, and I trust my
internal users (on my home network), so having the internal firewalls down
isn't a big risk, but it would be nice to know what I'm doing wrong too.

The server's ntp sync through the external firewall works just fine.

This might be your problem too, but in any case, I'd welcome hints about
configuring the internal firewalls to allow ntp sync.

TIA.

--
                Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences