RH7.0 doesn't, as far as I know, support it. However, if you managed to
get the latest e2fsprogs and kernel, etc, you might have some more luck.

As far as the file size limit.. I think there's some kernel patch that
works around it. the 2GB deal is the limitation (ultimately) of the
processor (32bit). If not for the lil -1 that has to be used,
you'd be able to have about 4GB no prob. Any work around patch, etc, will
be all emulation, though. It's pretty well implemented in many places
though, even for emulation.

I'm not sure about Ext3. Basically, any 64bit filesystem will rid you of
the 2GB limit, but yer sorta stuck with Second and Third Extended for now.

Others can prolly tell you more than I can though. My largest file is
prolly something like the Q3F Beta2 Mod I downloaded the other day :)

On Sat, 13 Apr 2002, Ashley M. Kirchner wrote:

>     Redhat 7.0...
>
>     I was attempting to tar/gzip a rather large directory and stumbled upon a
>(probably) well known 2GB limit.  The system is running ext2 all around and it
>appears I can't go beyond this limit.  Does anyone have any suggestions to overcome
>this?  I've got to be able to tar/gzip this directory for archiving purposes.
>
>     Would converting the drive to ext3 help?  Does RH7.0 even support ext3?  Am I
>better off upgrading the OS to RH7.2, use a journaling volume and go from there?
>
> --
> H | "Life is the art of drawing without an eraser." - John Gardner
>   Ashley M. Kirchner <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>   .   303.442.6410 x130
>   Director of Internet Operations / SysAdmin    .     800.441.3873 x130
>   Photo Craft Laboratories, Inc.            .     3550 Arapahoe Ave, #6
>   http://www.pcraft.com ..... .  .    .       Boulder, CO 80303, U.S.A.

-Statux