I have a network of Win95 and Linux machines.  Every machine has shares
and all machines can access the shares of all other machines.  There is
one exception.   I recently obtained (with dual boot objectives for
Linux and XP Pro) a new addition for video and sound editing purposes.
 But I cannot get the XP Pro OS new machine to even acknowledge it sees
the Linux machine's shares.

However, the Linux machines (once Samba and Hosts are set up) can
perform all Samba operations including mounting the drive of the new XP
Pro OS machine.

The new machine can see the shares of the Win95 machines (only after I
do the Add a Network Place operation for each machine) but not the Linux
machines.

When doing network testing the error code indicates that the wrong
account name or privileges may be the problem.  I had this problem a few
times before with the Win95 machines when the account name was not the
same as the name accepted by the Linux machines.  But this is not the
case here.

 I set up SAMBA and the LINUX machines the same way for XP Pro as I did
for Win95 but that does not do the job.  The XP Pro machine is able to
resolve the  name/IP address issue because I was able to get it to FTP
to a Linux machine using the Linux machine's name.  However, as I said,
the XP Pro machine does not see the LINUX shares as there is something
fundamental preventing it from accessing the Linux machines. Also, I
cannot do the Add a Network Place operation (as I did for the Win95
machines) for the linux machines because it cannot access them using the
expected syntax \\name\share.  It considers the "name" an invalid
folder.  I went through all the settings for XP Pro that I could find,
especially those that had anything to do with the LAN networking issues
but this did not help, so I must have missed some critical setting. It
recognizes the win95 "names" as used in \\name\share, but does not
recognize the Linux "names" as in \\name\share even though all the names
are in the hosts and lmhosts files in both the C:\ and C:\WINDOWS
directories and it apparently is doing the name/IP address conversions
properly.

As I mentioned, the XP Pro OS does not see any machines or shares when
it is asked to list all the machines on the network.  However, I think
that is because it only sees the ones where the operation Add a Network
Place has been performed as in \\win95-name\share.   If this is not
correct then there is also something wrong with how I have it going out
on the network and finding all machines with shares.  Does anyone have a
checklist of XP Pro settings for this purpose?  If so I can check what I
have done against that checklist.

Bye-thanks_TED