Ed:

Thanks for your reply.  Yes the XP machine insists on being the Master Browser.  I don't know how to "humble" the machine, it wants to be boss cluck, if you know what I mean.  How do I calm it down?  I have set associated priorities, such as these,  high in  the  Linux Samba file smb.conf so that the Linux machine is the Master Browser and other such things that I don't remember too well off the top of my head.

Regarding encrypted passwords.  Either way, how do I get XP Pro (what settings and how to get there) to conform to the way the rest of the network is set up.   Is the Samba file the only place I need to check to see if encrypted passwords are used on each Linux machine?  Or  is there also a system file or configuration file I also have to check on the Linux machine?   Obviously, the Samba operation has to be consistent with the Linux system behavior and that appears to be the case. On XP Pro, I think I turned on MP5 security.  If I remember right, cannot now remember where in XP Pro, but there were 4 lines in this security window (why I don't know)  two having MP5 and 2 having some other kind of encoding (security protocol or encoding) and there was provision to put them in some kind of order.  I'm not up much on security as my LAN connects to the internet via a dial up gate way (Linux) machine and the internet connection goes up only under demand.  The exception to this is the XP Pro machine can dial up the internet directly without going through the gateway.  I have not yet figured out how to enable it to do both this and/or access the internet through the Linux internet gateway.   But this is a separate problem.

By way of explantion and to share a bit of my experience with XP pro:  XP Pro is still just several days old to me and seems very different than Win95.  It seems capable of surviving situations where the application fails.  Although, I think the application gets blamed when there is a failure and it is probably the OS otherwise in the same circumstance the application would always fail.  So I have not developed the necessary insight level where I know where to go and what to set and how to set it to accomplish the desired affect.  It is more like hacking.  I look, find, try, fail, start over, try something different, and so on. - specially when the so called Wizard does not accomplish the desired objective.  Yesterday I spent all day with Bell PC Direct (satellite internet) support group trying to get this monster to properly configure for that one simple modem operation.  They nearly gave up.  I had to download special drivers.  We spent hours and hours and finally had to manually adjust the registry.  An executeable that we downloaded which was suppossed to help diagnose the problem would not run, and so on, and so on, all day long.  I have a line up of issues with this machine that have to be resolved starting with this networking issue.  After that I have to resolve why it wants to dial up when it makes connection to the LAN or I want to add a Network Place, etc.  I have redefined the network for EVERY option or pathway allowed by the Network Wizard and then tried overlays and manual settings but I just can't get this machine to do exactly what I want regarding networking with the Linux shares.  I want to be able to map to specific Linux drives and directories from the XP Pro machine.  Anyway, it doesn't crash on a minute by minute basis like win95 and NT used to do but it's still flaky( I can't spell the word).  Last night (since there is no off on switch) and I had to remove the signal coax cable from the satellite dish going to the satellite modem for the fast internet connection. The manual indicated that the physical connections were fragile and the modem needed to cool off before tampering with these connection or possible damage to the modem might occur.  First I have ever heard such a thing.  So I pulled the power line plug ( I did not think that there would be a problem doing this).  Next thing I knew XP pro had closed all connections, was dumping onto disk from memory with a message onthe screen saying it was protecting the sytem, and shutting down.  Worse than a Linux CPU panic if you ask me. Anyway, I've got a lot to learn about this OS and am not looking forward to it.

But first things first.  I've got to get this network shares issue resolved as I need to access the Linux machines from XP Pro.   As I said before I can do the reverse but unfortunately the video and audio capture and editing stuff are on the XP Pro system - the only reason I went that way with a MS OS.

If you would be so kind as to answer my above questions (first and second paragraphs) I will try and follow through with your instructions.

Regardless, it has been nice sharing with you and I appreciated your reply
Thanks, Ted

Edward Dekkers wrote:
019101c1e74a$3bfa9a80$0200a8c0@EDWARD">
I have a network of Win95 and Linux machines.  Every machine has shares
and all machines can access the shares of all other machines. There is
one exception. I recently obtained (with dual boot objectives for
Linux and XP Pro) a new addition for video and sound editing purposes.
But I cannot get the XP Pro OS new machine to even acknowledge it sees
the Linux machine's shares.

It didn't come with Norton Internet Security installed by any chance? Or the
built-in U-Beaut firewall enabled?

Is the XP Pro machine having a cat-fight with the Linux PC over who is to be
the master browser?

WINS resolution? Turn it off if in doubt.

The new machine can see the shares of the Win95 machines (only after I
do the Add a Network Place operation for each machine) but not the Linux
machines.

This SHOULD not be necessary. XP creates all shares and printer
automatically usually. I found out by accident. I added a customer's PC
which needed repairing to my network, only to find XP has automatically
added network places to the C:\ drive shares and I could print straight to
his printer as XP had added a printer automatically and configured it. I
didn't touch a thing. I'm not sure whether this is a good or bad thing, but
I just had to smile. It was pretty cool.

When doing network testing the error code indicates that the wrong
account name or privileges may be the problem. I had this problem a few
times before with the Win95 machines when the account name was not the
same as the name accepted by the Linux machines. But this is not the
case here.

Windows 95......hhhmmm. Does that have encrypted passwords disabled by
default? I'm sure XP only uses encrypted unless registry hacked. Are your
encrypted passwords turned off?

Also, what security model? I assume 'user' but you may want to check it.
Also make sure you try the same user account on both XP and 95 to make sure
it's not just the account you're using.

These are just some things that spring to mind, but I truly believe in this
case the Master Browser issue is why the names don't show up under 'Show All
Workgroup Computers'. I had that.

Regards,
Ed.