Hey guys:

Thank you very much for all your answers.  I tried what you
all suggested and seems to be working.  Of course I put
kedit as an example in my original post, but I was worried
about my own C or FORTRAN programs which sometimes I leave
running in the background and need to be sure they are not
killed by just closing the console from where I started
them.

BTW, how do I get "gvim"? I heard about it, but never tried
it.

And one@more thing on this issue of shells.  I wanted to
add color to "ls" command and found that all I needed was
to put the "etc/DIR_COLORS" as " /home/cesar/.dir_colors"
for example, edit to my liking, and then add

alias ls='ls --color=tty'

This works fine for the bash shell, just changing color to
whatever I like in my .dir_colors, but cannot make it work
in the csh shell.  The csh shell always takes the default
in "etc/DIR_COLORS".

Cesar