On Wed, 2002-05-01 at 21:18, Cesar Moya wrote:
> Hey guys:
>

> BTW, how do I get "gvim"? I heard about it, but never tried
> it.

here are the rpms I installed to get vim working.  get the ones from the
update site for 7.x fixed several usability issues for me.  As with most
things unix it works out of the box but the real poser comes in the
customization.  I use it for perl shell and php coding primarily and us
this as my ~/.gvimrc file:

[bhughes@bretsony bin]$ rpm -qa|grep vim
vim-common-6.0-7.13
vim-X11-6.0-7.13
vim-minimal-6.0-7.13
vim-enhanced-6.0-7.13

As with most things unix it works out of the box but the real poser
comes in the customization.  I use it for perl shell and php coding
primarily and us this as my ~/.gvimrc file:

:set bg=dark
:syntax on
:set smartindent
:set autoindent
:set autowrite

:set shiftwidth=4
:set notextmode
:set notextauto

:set textwidth=70
:set guioptions-=v
let php_minlines = 300

I also like the reverse video so I have this alias in my ~/.bashrc

alias vi='gvim -reverse'

the syntax highlighting is very good for more stuff thanI wil ever code
in and the folding and auto indention is way cool.  doc is in
/usr/share/doc/vim*

HTH

Bret