You could have this up and running within the hour:

Use sendmail/procmail for mail delivery (sendmail is set to use procmail
by defualt, just install both packages). On the sendmail.org page, they
have a nice faq guiding you through config process. The imap2000 rpm
contains imap/pop protocols for retrieving email via imap4 or pop3. No
config needed really. Just install the package and start retrieving
mail. You can use something like ssh for securely connecting the machine
from work (though this will give you no more than a prompt). It's config
file is  /etc/ssh/sshd_config and you should be able to figure it out
from the comments in the file. If you want graphical interface check out
vnc. You can setup mailing lists using majordomo. Very easy to
configure. Comes with readme files and setup instructions. Depending
upon specs, this setup can handle anywhere from 1 to 10000 users. Email
with specific questions if you run into trouble setting these services
up.

Jeff Graves
Customer Support Engineer
Image Source, Inc.