On Monday 06 May 2002 4:47 am, R Talbot wrote:
[snip]
> Glen
>   I can understand your concern regarding security and I agree.
> But....... my contention was with the other 210 megabytes which were not
> a security update..

Sorry Rob, but I've got quite a chuckle over this thread.

If I ready it correctly, you're upset that RH continue to develop a system
after they've frozen a release, and that they not only allow you unrestricted
access to these improvements but supply a tool to automate that access.

This think - if it were available in the first place - how much you would
have to PAY for this service from a company using a traditional sales model.

You have to bear in mind just what goes into developing, producing and
distributing a CD set.  Then bear also bear in mind that this process is not
actually RH's main income source.

I agree that a monthly update CD would be nice, and probably would not be
diffecult to create as a single ISO.  This is something I would personally
like to see.  However, you have already stated that this is of no use to you
as you cannot burn CD's (there are other ways round this such as mounting the
ISO on a loopback device and making it network accessible).

Also, you would still have to download the ISO, which would actually be
larger than the individual RPM's, and would also concentrate the downloads to
larger filesizes on more specific dates.

I appreciate your situation, but please compare what you have from RH (or
Suse etc) with other user models etc.  I'm sure you'll agree you're actually
pretty well off.

>  Rob
>    Thanks for your Idea re: KRUD  I have signed onto the site
>
> Bob

Gary Stainburn