Patrick Nelson wrote:
----------------->>>>
I commend you on your acumen in carrying out the upgrade/ximianisation,
as you've described.  You are at a different level than I, for sure.

When I attempted the upgrade of my ximianised 7.1 machine, I followed
the Red Hat release notes, which are, as I recall, identical to the
release notes for 7.3.  After upgrade, I went (whilst logged in to a
Ximian Gnome desktop) to the Ximian site to perform a reinstall.  It
simply bombed.  The machine was unusable as a gnome machine.  KDE
worked, however.   So, faced with an unusable gnome environment, I went
through the rpm -e route, as noted earlier in the thread.

I thought I had read the ximian advises that it be removed and the standard
gnome reinstalled, then upgrade to the next version of RH, then install
ximian gnome on the upgraded standard gnome.

I usually do a complete reinstall so I'm not sure if that is correct.  HTH