Greetings (help, help!)

Last night I had a root filesystem fill due to a log file growing too large.
I have corected that and all is back to normal except:

All of my "public_html" (i.e. http://www.mydomain.com/~jones) web pages
stopped serving.  My non-public_html pages and virtual domains are working
fine.

In my httpd error log I see:

[Sat May 25 08:11:04 2002] [error] [client xx.xx.xx.xx] File does not exist:
/home/httpd/html/~jones
If I try to implicitly send index.html I get:
[Sat May 25 08:12:10 2002] [error] [client xx.xx.xx.xx] File does not exist:
/home/httpd/html/~jones/index.html

But the file and directory do exist, there have been no changes.  They have
permissions drwxr-xr-x

I have restarted httpd - not luck.

I rebooted - still no luck

conf file has not changed and srm.comf has:

DocumentRoot /home/httpd/html
UserDir public_html

Can someone tell me what to check next or how to repair?

Thanks very much for any help,
Scott