> It is my experience that Linux is exceedingly efficient at managing
memory,
> and swap space seldom gets used unless you're for some reason consuming
> oodles of memory .   Are you using only text mode or loading KDE or
> somesuch?  If it's only a running services and X never gets loaded, I'm
not
> surprised that the swap isn't being used.

that's just the thing.  EVERY linux box i've used (since i discovered 'df')
has always registered zero usage of swap.  one of my boxes here is running
kde2.2, apache, mysql, netatalk, and samba with 128mb ram and there's no
swap being used.  if the memory is being managed that well, i must say those
kernel hackers pretty damn impressive :)

daniel a. g. quinn
starving programmer

never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups
  - unknown