> that's just the thing.  EVERY linux box i've used (since i discovered
'df')
> has always registered zero usage of swap.  one of my boxes here is running
> kde2.2, apache, mysql, netatalk, and samba with 128mb ram and there's no
> swap being used.  if the memory is being managed that well, i must say
those
> kernel hackers pretty damn impressive :)

They are. :-)

Let me check on my 128MB station and see how it's behaving...

Running KDE 2.2, Apache, PostgreSQL, Samba, Prelude, Proftpd and several
other services, free reports that there's only 7mbs of swap being used.

To tell you the truth, the only case I've seen (on my workstations) where
swap gets used regularly is on an Athlon 1.3 GHz with 512MBs of RAM, when
running OpenOffice for a couple of design documents, Forte Community Edition
(a _really heavy_ Java IDE), PostgreSQL, Resin (JSP/Servlet container) and a
couple of other things.  Unless I run Forte with several other apps, swap
never gets used - as opposed to Win2k on the same machine where you can
barely reply to e-mail, play a CD and browse the web without accessing swap.

Cheers,

Ricardo J. Méndez Castro   Sheer Talent Developments