On Wed, 12 Jun 2002, Joseph V Moss wrote:

> > On Wed, 12 Jun 2002, Joseph V Moss wrote:
> >

> > > There's one more thing you should look at when examining an RPM to see what
> > > it's going to install on your system: the install scripts.
> > >
> > > rpm -q --scripts somerpm.arch.rpm
> > >
> > > should let you see what changes the rpm will make besides just installing new
> > > files.
> >
> > Thanks, but for some reason there seems to be a constituency of people
> > out there who can't get over the idea that I'm not installing anything
> > on my system this way.
>
> I understand what you want and for 99% of RPMs, using rpm2cpio to extract the
> embedded cpio archive of files will get you what you want.  I'm just saying
> that you better not ignore the scripts.  In some (a few) RPMs they represent
> much more of a payload (and, in some cases, may even create more files) than
> the cpio archive contents.
>
> In theory, you could have an RPM where 'rpm2cpio foo.rpm | cpio -idm' would
> give you nothing but a simple README file, but 'rpm -i foo.rpm' would install
> 30 files on your system.  Wouldn't you like to examine those other 29 files too?
> Then look at the script that generates them.

Gee, I dunno. The CD I bought died in the jewlbox, hasn't a scratch on
it. Had to download a copy off ftp.redhat.com....took about 16hours or
so and there was little or no reference to that ftp site on their
website...took me a couple days to find it. Also,I'm in a high bandwidth
colo facility. After that, trying to find the packages that contain the
binaries and init scripts I need is turning into a guessing game. And I
have to deal with all this rpm stuff. What a headache. I don't think I'll
be buying anymore Red Hat distros.

Even when I purchased the one I had, the sales 'engineers' or whatever
they call themselves didn't know anything more about the product than
was on the box. I stopped at their booth at a Linux World, same
thing.

Thanks anyway,

--Paul

--
William J. Broad: "The crux... is that the vast majority of the mass
of the universe seems to be missing."