I had a simlar problem upgrading to 7.2.  It was caused by attempting to
do a file check on the vfat/dos partitions.

The way I fixed was to boot into linux single user.  Edit /etc/fstab,
checking that your vfat/dos partitions end like this:
/dev/hdb1 /mnt/ddrive vfat user,owner,exec,dev,suid,rw,conv=auto,uid=500,gid=500,auto
0 0

The critical part is the two 0's.

John