    ms> I am looking at instituting Amanda-based backups on a small network.
    ms> Amanda uses dump to actually back up the files.  I've seen various
    ms> references to problems with the reliability of dump with kernel 2.4 and/or
    ms> ext3.  For example, I'ver heard tell that "Linus says that dump in kernel
    ms> 2.4 is badly broken," or words to that effect.  So, the question is, "Can
    ms> Amanda make reliable backups using dump in RHL 7.3?  If not, what's the
    ms> best (preferably free) solution?"

Yes, Amanda will make very reliable backups on your network, and yes
dump is broken.
However Amanda being the very powerful system it is, look to tar, cpio
as alternatives.

--
Ray Curtis
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]                           http://www.ccux.com