On Tue, 2 Jul 2002, Ray Curtis wrote:

>     ms> On 2 Jul 2002, Gordon Messmer wrote:
>     >> On Tue, 2002-07-02 at 12:45, Ray Curtis wrote:
>     >> >
>     >> > Yes, Amanda will make very reliable backups on your network, and yes
>     >> > dump is broken.
>     >> > However Amanda being the very powerful system it is, look to tar, cpio
>     >> > as alternatives.
>     >>
>     >> Bitch is that filesystems with extended attributes need to be backed up
>     >> by their specific version of dump.  Tar and cpio aren't going to know
>     >> how to back up the extended attributes.  From that point of view, Linux
>     >> 2.4 is broken.  Badly, it seems.
>
>     ms> So is there a recommended course of action hidden here?  Should I be using
>     ms> tar or cpio with amanda or something else entirely?
>
> Sure go ahead and use Amanda, it was only  pointed out that dump is
> broken with the 2.4 kernel, but that will apply to any software using
> dump.
> Go ahead and use Amanda with tar, it is a good package, the only
> reason some prefer Arkeia, Bru is that Amanda has no gui frontend.
> But amanda is used by many sys-admins to backup both small and large
> networks.

OK Thanks.

BTW, found a note in the Amanda mailing list (where this is a recurring
flame fest) referring to a note on one of the kernel mailing lists that
the cache-coherence problem with dump was resolved as of Linus's 2.4.11.
I don't know if that fix is universal (or at least in Red Hat's kernels)
now with 2.4.18, but if so, it reduces the problem somewhat.  Now, as I
understand it, at least dump will make correct backups of unmounted file
systems or in single user mode.  "Quiescent" mounted file systems should
also be OK.  Not sure yet of the impact on ext3 file systems, though, but
it seems like it ought to be the same.

I'll probably stick with tar, though I understand it's slower.  Is
Gordon's comment about extended FS attributes a reference to non-ext2
FS's?  Are there other disadvantages to using tar with Amanda?

Thanks.

--
                Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences