I consider NIS/NIS+ old technology. LDAP is the way to go, even MS ADS is based
on LDAP. Mail, Account authentication, Samba can be tied into ldap and you can
used this central authentication system to grab the passwords and do similar
things for clients and users.

This will allow you to sync the uid/gid for all users and restrict access to
machines via the host attribute I thinks.

Cheers,

        Aly.

--
Aly Dharshi