"Mike Shilling" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

[...]

> The IDE drive crashed today.  Grub still will come up, however the swap
> space is damaged to the point where I can do NOTHING with this system.
> It will not boot, when I try, it gets to mounting the root filesystem,
> and the hard drive makes some god aweful sounds and it just quits
> eventually.
>
> My question is this -
>
> I -do- have a new ide drive that I can replace the broken one with, but
> how do I get the grub and swap space on there so my system will
> boot?

If the drive itself is broken and data cannot be got off of it, you
could just reinstall Red Hat, couldn't you?  You can just mount your
other working drives as is.

> Last but not least, as im sure this is the first question people will
> ask me, I don't have a rescue disk.  :(  my mistake.

The Red Hat install disk serves as a rescue disk too.  You can type
linux resuce at the prompt for it to go in rescue mode.  See
http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-7.3-Manual/custom-guide/s1-rescuemode-boot.html
for details.

Hope this helps.

-Nevin