Hi,
You need to change the run level to which your box boot.
I think it is in inittab. I think runlevel 5 will have X started and
level 3 will have only text mode started.
For the packages problem, either upgrade your linux or try to get a tar.gz
staticly linked version of the packages and install them.
hth Willem

--
Willem van der Walt
Information Services Directorate