On Mon, 2002-08-26 at 05:25, kuchimanchi sriram wrote:
> Hai
>
> Any body pl tell me how to get out of this problem in
> linux 6.2.
> Iam unable to logon to the text mode of linux.
> When i go to the kde or gnome it is functioning
> well.Only problem is iam unable to login to the text
> mode directly.And  iam able   to login to the
> terminal in gnome and kde .So pl give me any solution
> for this .
>
> Second thing is that  i wanted to install the
> yahoomessenger in the same mechine but it is asking
> for some dependencies like
> 1)gdk_pixbuf>=8 (But  when i tried to install this
> only packages with major number <=3 are supported by
> this rpm verson error is coming
> 2)Libcrypto.so.o
> 3)libgdk_pixbuf.so.2

you need to install the updates from ftp.redhat.com

the rpm deal is way old and if you have not updated rpm you probably
have not updated the other security fixes and have been hacked.  I was
working with another 6.2 user on a different thread with a similar
sounding problem and his box did not have the requisite files in
/etc/pam.d

the subject of the thread is :

 login problem at renlevel 3

Part of the diagnostics:

the files are:
here's the output of that command:

[root@inventory jhun]# rpm -V $(rpm -qf $(which login))
missing    /etc/pam.d/chsh
missing    /etc/pam.d/kbdrate
missing    /etc/pam.d/login

Looks like a screwy root kit is out there to me.

Bret