> Hmm. Are saying that if you try to ping the eth1 interface from a
> machine attached to the network on eth0 it does not work?  If so what is
> does the routing table on the ping orignating machine look like?  It
> needs to be told that the router is the gateway to that network.

to refresh, the router's addresses are eth0 - 10.1.1.2 and eth1 10.1.5.1
on the router, if I:
ping 10.1.1.2
or
ping 10.1.5.1 it's fine

HOWEVER if i
ping -I eth0 10.1.5.1 (ping from eth0 to eth1) it fails
or
ping -I eth1 10.1.1.2 it also fails

i don't actually have anything else plugged into it at this point,
trying to iron all this out prior to it going live. However, I just
tried the same test (pinging from an eth0 to an eth1) on a
iptables-nat-fw box i have. This box forwards packets like nobody's
business and is showing the same results that I describe above. Perhaps
there is something about ping that doesn't allow you to ping from an
interface to an interface?? I always thought you could do that...

>>From the router, can you sucessfully ping its own interefaces on each
> network? (ie eth0 and eth1)

yes AND no!

-matthew