On Fri, 27 Sep 2002, Kalin Mintchev wrote:

> anybody from redhat on this? or should i CONTRACT technical support for
> $$$$$ so somebody can explain what is wrong with the installation program
> or what am i doing wrong?????!?????????!!!!!

Not from Red Hat, nor have I tried a local hard drive install of 7.3, but
here's a thought.

How is the install program supposed to know which disk to find the images
on?  When the installer starts, it creates its own file system, with its
own /, /usr, etc., in a ramdisk.  So it can't mount your disks in their
usual places.  It looks for existing ext2 partitions and mounts them under
/tmp/hdimage.  I don't recall the exact structure of the tree under
/tmp/hdimage, but you can find out.

Boot the install CD-ROM and at the first screen prompt, enter "linux
rescue".  You go though some dialog boxes (including the one where it
detects an existing installation and mounts it under /tmp/hdimage.  Then
you can go look and see how it put things together.  From there, you'll be
able to discover the complete path to your images, which will start with
/tmp/hdimage.  Enter the remainder of the path when you are prompted using
the installer.

If you can't boot from CD-ROM, you might still be able to run "linux
rescue" from the install floppy.  I'm not sure about that.

--
                Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences
[EMAIL PROTECTED]