Well, a number of you have responded, and obviously I didn't make my problem
clear.

KMail 1.3.1, KDE 2.2-11
(Yes, as soon as I have spare time, I'm upgrading my kernel, and then
upgrading KDE...I'm too busy trying to make some money, having been caught in
the "recession" for well over a year)

At any rate, I did all the stuff, created the list in Kaddressbook, but:
   if I click to create a new email from KMail, no matter which of the four
options in "configure KMail"->appearance->addressbook" I use,

    1) in no case does it display the mailing list name, regardless of
whether I hit the ellipses (the three periods), or the addressbook on the
toolbar; only individual names & email addresses are displayed, and

    2) if, instead, I bring up the KAdressbook GUI, and select the mailing
list name, which *does* show up here, when I click on "send email", the only
thing that happens is that it brings the mail client - the base KMail window,
to the foreground, and does not open up a new email-editing/creating window.

Also, I am unable to choose the order of the addressbook listings: for
example, I cannot say "sort *all* of them in alpha order (bringing up the
addressbook gui, sometimes seems like random order), to ignore the quotes
that surround some usernames, or to tell it to ignore case.

It appears that the last is not a bug, but a wishlist item, and I can live
with that. However, as I said, neither gui even displays the name of any list
I have created.

Finally, why would I want to have to change to another folder, just to send
out an email to a mailing list? Almost all the time, I am responding to
something, or sitting there, and having thought or read something, want to
send out a new email.

Are my complaints clearer?

        mark
--