On Friday October 18 2002 12:53 pm, mark wrote:
> Well, a number of you have responded, and obviously I didn't make my
> problem clear.
>
> KMail 1.3.1, KDE 2.2-11
> (Yes, as soon as I have spare time, I'm upgrading my kernel, and then
> upgrading KDE...I'm too busy trying to make some money, having been caught
> in the "recession" for well over a year)
>
> At any rate, I did all the stuff, created the list in Kaddressbook, but:
>    if I click to create a new email from KMail, no matter which of the four
> options in "configure KMail"->appearance->addressbook" I use,
>
>     1) in no case does it display the mailing list name, regardless of
> whether I hit the ellipses (the three periods), or the addressbook on the
> toolbar; only individual names & email addresses are displayed, and
>
>     2) if, instead, I bring up the KAdressbook GUI, and select the mailing
> list name, which *does* show up here, when I click on "send email", the
> only thing that happens is that it brings the mail client - the base KMail
> window, to the foreground, and does not open up a new
> email-editing/creating window.

I am still not clear what you mean by "mailing list name". Do you mean
distribution list (in Kmail jargon) where put one alias that actuallly send
the e-mail to a buch of different addresses? Or do you mean a mailing list
address such as [EMAIL PROTECTED]?

As far as I remember, that version of Kmail/KDE/Kaddressbook does not even
have a distribution list capability.
If you want the later, then it's no different than just putting an entry in
addressbook.

> Also, I am unable to choose the order of the addressbook listings: for
> example, I cannot say "sort *all* of them in alpha order (bringing up the
> addressbook gui, sometimes seems like random order), to ignore the quotes
> that surround some usernames, or to tell it to ignore case.
>
> It appears that the last is not a bug, but a wishlist item, and I can live
> with that. However, as I said, neither gui even displays the name of any
> list I have created.
>
> Finally, why would I want to have to change to another folder, just to send
> out an email to a mailing list? Almost all the time, I am responding to
> something, or sitting there, and having thought or read something, want to
> send out a new email.

You don't have too, if you don't want to. You can always type the address
manually. I am just saying it's one feature that KMail has, because for me,
for example, I put all my Redhat-List e-mails to one folder. Now if I am in
that folder, after reading a whole bunch of emails from the list, and I
decided I want to send something to the list, when I click New Message, I can
have the redhat-list address automatically filled out, and the Identity that
I set for Redhat mailing list automatically used. Since I used different
identities/email adress for different mailing-list, this is very useful for
me. In fact, this is the reason I switched back to KMail after having tried
Evolution.

RDB