It seems that not only ownership but also the device major and minor
numbers
for some of your disks have changed. You could not fsck or remount your
/dev/hda2
because /dev/hda2 device entry in /dev is no longer points to your hard
disk due
to changed major/minor. These numbers for /dev/hda2 should be 3, 2 but
in your
listing /dev/hda2 has the numbers 2,109. It is the main problem with
your system.

If you use LILO, you should start the kernel with the options
init=/bin/bash, rw
which will start the kernel with the root file system mounted read-write
and will bypass
usual init procedures.

Then you should make correct device entries in /dev with the command
/dev/MAKEDEV hda
Then run fsck on /dev/hda2.
Then change ownership on /dev/hda devices, if necessary.
Then umount root filesystem: 'umount /'
Then issue 'sync' command several times to write changed blocks to the
disk.
Reboot yor system.

Alexey Fadyushin
Brainbench MVP for Linux