Hi I installed a promise TX2200 card a while back.

I found that the grub.conf and the information in the /boot partition did
not match. I copied the files from the boot floppy.

The initrd-2 xxxx file was missing so I copied it from floppy and renamed
it.

[root@Lizzi root]# more /etc/grub.conf
# grub.conf generated by anaconda
#
# NOTICE:  You do not have a /boot partition.  This means that
#          all kernel and initrd paths are relative to /, eg.
#          root (hd0,0)
#          kernel /boot/vmlinuz-version ro root=/dev/sda1
#          initrd /boot/initrd-version.img
#boot=/dev/sda
default 0
timeout 5
splashimage=(sd0,0)/boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz

title Red Hat Linux (2.4.7-10)
        root (hd0,0)
        kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.7-10 ro root=/dev/sda1  << This said
/boot/vmlinuz-version
          initrd /boot/initrd-2.4.7-10.img   <<<<<<< this was missing

[root@Lizzi root]# ls /boot
boot.b                    kernel.h-2.4.9
chain.b                   message                    System.map-2.4.7-10
module-info               grub
module-info-2.4.7-10      vmlinuz
initrd-2.4.7-10.img
os2_d.b                   vmlinuz-2.4.7-10
kernel.h                  System.map