I'm currently evaluating crossover office.  Very impressive.  I can run
Word, Excel and PowerPoint from Linux now (running RedHat 7.2 and 7.3).

I've run into some problems with Outlook (my primary reason for trying
this).  I can read/reply to emails, view/modify my calendar just fine.
Selecting public/private folders does not work however the shortcuts allow
me to enter them (basically a work around).  Our 7.3 workstation has trouble
spell checking (might need the outlook service pack).  We're running version
5.5 btw.

It's not a perfect solution but it's close to what I need.  I'm considering
a purchase despite these minor problems.  VMWARE is the alternative however
expect to pay around $200 for it.  VMWARE basically creates a virtual disk
in which you can load windows 95/98/2000/XP (or whatever) then your
application.  On one of my faster machines I even loaded Unreal Tournament
and surprised everyone in the office when I joined our network game server
(after hours of course ::grinz::)

In a nutshell there are solutions available for Linux.  While not free, they
are fine products.  If free is what you want then I recommend reading the
WINE Howto in http://tldp.org and learn how to setup WINE.  It may work, it
may not.  At least it's an alternative to the paid products.