Sorry to join in late-
I would like to point out I use to work for a company similar to
crossover office that packaged GPL software, with some custom patches,
custom documentation, etc.

It was web server/database software.

The company didn't make it - which is fine, not all do, but it broke my
heart when I looked around and found our ISO being destributed
everywhere - not just our RPM's (that we could care less about- they
were GPL), but our documentation and our installer etc.

Anyway- my understanding is that CodeWeavers puts a signifigant amount
of resourced, both financial and coding, into WINE. Not just their
implementation, but the WINE that so many of us download and use free of
charge.

By supporting CodeWeavers by buying their product, you are supporting
Open Source Software. If you enjoy OSS but can't code yourself,
supporting companies like CodeWeavers (and Red Hat) is a way that you
can also give back to the community.

You are under absolutely no obligation to do so. But it is nice when you
can. I use the crossover plugin. It's a $25.00 product, and the easiest
install of QuickTime and Flash 6 on Linux I've ever seen. I saved a
bunch of money just in the time it saved me :)