Is Window$ a necessary evil???

Unfortunately, so far, for Engineering applications, I think so.
Regarding this thread, my opinion is as follows:

-Excel is the best spreadsheet when it comes to advanced uses. QPro was
great, but it can be considered mostly dead. StarOffice works wonderfully
for regular office work, but it is not well documented for advanced apps.

-There is no substitute for M$ Project. It is the best PM software
available for PC. There are UNIX PM programs, but they can only be
afforded by BIG corporations. Mr. Project may become a serious option,
but so far it is not.

-AutoCAD still runs only on Window$. Yes, I bought VariCAD, but
documentation was SO BAD (I can tell for the English version), that I
considered that investment a complete lost.

-Linux has outstanding free software for mathematical, programming and
data handling applications.

-Yes, if there were reliable and functional, well documented software
available, at a reasonable price, A LOT of people would be willing to pay
for it.

Best choice for professionals: place as much memory on your laptop as you
can afford, buy VMWare, and run Windows in a VC were you can run whatever
Window$ software you require. The question would be, why should I run
Linux, then? Well, I can think of some reasons: a) system stability, b)
availability of system tools, 3) lots of available high quality software
for certain uses, such as compilers, batch processing, and mathematics,
4) flexibility. And, 5) if Window$ hangs, you just have to close the
Window!!

Best regards,

-Manuel.