Hi there.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Thomas Ribbrock" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Monday, November 18, 2002 2:51 AM
Subject: Re: Sparc Linux

> FIRST of all: PLEASE do *not* simply reply to an existing thread and
change
> the subject if you want to ask a new, unrelated question. It screws the
> threading for those people who are using a capable mail program, making it
> harder to follow things. PLEASE write a NEW message instead. THANKS!

Not having such an email client I did not realize.  I'm sorry.

> As for your problem:
>
> On Sun, Nov 17, 2002 at 09:44:03PM -0600, Christopher Henderson wrote:
> [...]
> > I have a question concerning Sparc's. I own a Sparcclassic that has a 50
mhz
> > CPU, 16 megs of RAM, and a 200 mg SCSI HD.
>
> 200mg? That's a very light hard drive - mine weigh a couple of hundred
> grams, typically... (SCNR - I know you meant MB and not 'mg') ;-)

Ick - sorry, I meant mb.

> > I plan on upgrading it to at
> > least a 1 gig hard disk and probably maxing out the RAM (48 I believe).
>
> Maximum RAM in a Sparc Classic is 96MB regular and 128MB inofficially. The
> latter can be achieved by using two 32MB SIMMs in the first two sockets.

Cool - much more then originally thought.  Thnx.  Btw, any sites you could
point me at that would sell RAM for such an old machine?  Thnx again.

> [...]
> > However, I saw this tidbit in the NetBSD sparc FAQ -
> >
> > Why is NetBSD so much faster than SparcLinux on sun4c (top)
> >   The memory management hardware on sun4c machines (SPARCstation 1, 1+,
2,
> > IPC, IPX, SLC, ELC and clones) is not handled particularly well by
Linux.
> > Until Linux reworks their MMU code NetBSD will be very much faster on
this
> > hardware.
> >
> > I was curious if this is still true with newer kernels such as the late
2.2
> > series or even the 2.4 series. I believe that my Sparc is more or less
an
> > IPX repackaged and resold - so my box would be included.
>
> Actually, no, it wouldn't. A SparcStation Classic is basically the same as
> SparcStation LX, though without on-board ISDN. The LX also has better
audio
> and video. Both are sun4m, not sun4c. Hence, the above doesn't apply to
your
> machine (though I myself still haven't found out whether the 2.4 kernel
> changed anything. 2.2 sure didn't - OpenBSD ran a lot better on my
> SparcStation 2 than RHL 6.2 did).

Oh?  When I bought my machine on eBay it was advertised as being a Sun IPX -
the guy claimed that the Sparcclassic was the same thing.  Interesting.
Well, could I run X-Windows on my machine given a larger HD and maxed out
RAM? Its not really important if I can or not, just curious.

> As for the Linux: You can also try Aurora Linux, which is based on RHL
7.3.
> It's still pretty much beta, but it runs well on my SparcStation LX. See:
> http://auroralinux.org/
>
> Also, have a look at Sun's website, as well as
> http://www.sunhelp.org and http://www.obsolyte.com for information about
> Sparcs in general.
>
> HTH,

Thank you for all your help.  I shall not make the same mistake again
concerning threaded emails - I apologise.  Thank you for your time!

~Christopher