On Wed, Nov 20, 2002 at 09:22:03AM -0500, Kent Borg wrote:

> Oh, and I am a fan of software raid 1, not only for redundancy, but
> because it is faster for reading than a single disk.  (At least it is
> for IDE where putting paralel disks on separate controllers is
> practical.)

If you want to be a true performance freak (I am every once in a while)
then do software raid 0. Trade redundancy for performance.

My favorite setup is to have /boot, /home and /usr/local in raid 1 and
the rest in raid 0. That way, my personally generated data is kept
redundant, while the system itself is enhanced for performance. Should a
disk die, I replace it, restore my raid 1 data and reinstall the rest.

Cheers,
--
Javier Gostling
Ingeniero de Sistemas