> Nate said:
>
> Daevid Vincent said:
>
> > Swap:       522072     116012     406060
> >
> > Here is what I have running currently as of that 'free'
>
> wonder why it's swapping like mad.

Me too. I have been puzzled by similar behaviour recently also.
All I did was replace a server that was a P133/64MB (2.2 kernel)
with a P-266/192MB (2.4 kernel) and interactive response
got SLOWER when it was busy.
It seems to be related to the OS gobbling up all spare ram for
cache/buffers (I don't understand the distinction between the two).
I've noticed this, not just on Linux, but on win2k also. NT4 seemed
even worse.
And I suspect win98 was doing the same until
I used Cacheman to constrain it.

Whenever I do a lot of file output all ram gets allocated, then if I
try to start a program, it gets stuck waiting for the stuff to get flushed
before there is even any ram to read the code into.
It feels like the OS decides to empty ram before it reads anything,
but I have no numbers to back this up so it is probably just
the competition for disc access causing inefficiencies.

Cameron.