On Tue, Dec 03, 2002 at 07:20:56AM -0600, Steve Strong wrote:
> the file exists and has the permissions you list.  I've re-installed the
> passwd package from the CD, this should be the original, yes?
> steve

You'd best also check the extended attributes via 'lsattr'.

Contrary to "common knowledge", I've had no problem "de-rootkit"ing
several cracked systems.  (OTOH, I've been working in Unix since 1980;
that may have something to do with it.)  Essentially, there are only so many
places to start programs; there are only so many critical commands they can
attack; and there are only so many ways they can hide their footsteps.

There are a few preparatory steps that are necessary.

        1.  Have a known good backup on disk somewhere.  NOT on a machine
            at risk.  (I actually run a 'tar' system backup on a
            per-partition basis to a network-mounted removabel drive.)

        2.  Squirrel away some critical commands.  At a minimum, tar,
            ps, ls, ifconfig, passwd, login, rpm.  Check that they don't
            need shared libraries--if they do, copy those, too.
            Keep chkrootkit in the 'safe' location(s), too.

        3.  Run chkrootkit daily on at-risk systems.  Also, daily check for
            'strange' files in /tmp and /usr/tmp.  These will commonly be
            .files (e.g., .local).

        4.  At the first sign of trouble--something behaves 'funny',
            strange files, or a complaint from chkrootkit--take the system
            off-net and start your security audit.  Injection points
            are /etc/rc.d, /etc/inittab, and the various crontabs and
            at jobs--this is where they'll try to start and re-start their
            own programs.

As of step (4), the job shifts from mechanics to artform.  They'll try
to preserve the time/date stamp on normal commands such as 'ps',
but commonly will fail to catch everything--especially in rc files or
their own temp directories.  Once you can nail a date and hour, search
the whole system for any file created or modified on that date/time.
Your logs will, generally, be worthless unless you've also sent them to
another system (which should be firewalled) and/or to a hardcopy printer
or write-only media.  Run RPM to validate packages.  And especially look
for anything with attributes set via 'chattr'.  Virtually _nothing_ uses
this in a stock system--any set attributes are warning signs that they've
been there.

The whole process takes me ~60-90 minutes.  Oh, and if you've good
outbound rules on your firewall, they often can't clean up neatly.
I've caught IP addresses and destination mail addresses and machine
FQDNs this way, too.

G'luck,
--
        Dave Ihnat