On Tue, 3 Dec 2002, Michael Schwendt wrote:

> On Tue, 3 Dec 2002 11:31:11 -0600 (CST), Bill Carlson wrote:
>
> > >   $ su -l root
> > >   # rpm -qa | xargs -n 1 -t rpm -V &> rpm-Va.txt
> > >   # less rpm-Va.txt
> >
> > ?!? No need for xargs.
> >
> > rpm -Va | tee /tmp/verify.log
>
> Nah, try it. ;) Then you'll understand why I recommend the xargs
> version. If you know an equivalent version that doesn't use xargs,
> please post it.

Ah, I see what you mean. In case anyone else is wondering, Michael's use
of xargs (with the -t, echo command line to stderr) will allow one to see
which rpm the verify output is from. There isn't an option for rpm -V that
will do that.

Another good example of Unix at work: Small tools that can be chained
together for accomplishing a variety of tasks.

Later,

Bill Carlson
--
Systems Programmer    [EMAIL PROTECTED]         | Anything is possible,
Virtual Hospital      http://www.vh.org/      | given time and money.