Windows better at??? I'm not sure about the others, but
I am sure Pro/E andf Unigraphics started life as programs
based on Unix-workstations. Only comparatively recently
have they migrated towards ms-windows.
I think those packages have been
converted to use the native win-32 graphics environment
but I have seen engineering packages "converted to windows"
by recompiling and providing an X-server to run
in the ms-windows environment.
So the first question is - is the package development still
based around X-windows?  If so then Linux is a more
natural choice, assuming the supplier supports it.

Why did they move away from Unix? Probably mainly cost.
Once the PC hardware had enough power to do what they
wanted, customers probably tended to baulk at the cost
of high-end Unix workstations with associated software
costs when a similar PC running NT was disproportionately
cheaper. And it took until NT4 for MS to offer a
reliable 32-bit OS.

Given the cost of the licences for those packages, whether you pay
for a win32 OS or get Linux for free is often insignificant.

The main selling point that I would look for would be reliability.
But I have nothing to offer in that area.

Cameron.