On Wed, 2002-12-11 at 13:59, Jianping Zhu wrote:
> Can someone gives some example of superuser command in linux and how i can
> find out all root user command?
> Thanks

Not really.  You could I guess find a list of all commands owned by
root, executable by owner and not executable by others.  This is not the
way most commands are limited in their actions.

While some commands may be executable by root only (not other) the
primary reason that only roon can SUCCESSFULLY run certain commands is
due to the resources that a particular command uses or alters

I understand that some progs also have code in them that will prohibit
certain operations if the userid is 0 but that has got to be lame as
hell.

The path difference is one I have never really understood since I can,
and do on the systems I administer, add /sbin/ and /usr/sbin to my user
account.

for instance you can run /sbin/ifconfig as a user but since I have not
granted access to a primary network interface I cannot bring it down

[bhughes@bretsony bhughes]$ ifconfig eth0
eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 08:00:46:2E:18:32
          inet addr:10.0.0.50  Bcast:10.0.0.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
          UP BROADCAST NOTRAILERS RUNNING  MTU:1500  Metric:1
          collisions:2
          RX bytes:730367 (713.2 Kb)  TX bytes:611881 (597.5 Kb)

[bhughes@bretsony bhughes]$ ifconfig eth0 down
SIOCSIFFLAGS: Permission denied

[bhughes@bretsony bhughes]$ which ifconfig
/sbin/ifconfig

[bhughes@bretsony bhughes]$ ls -l /sbin/ifconfig
-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root        51164 Jul 31  2001 /sbin/ifconfig
[bhughes@bretsony bhughes]$

And please don't try the rm -rf / unless you are up for a reinstall :)

HTH

Bret