Hello to all,

On Thu, 2002-12-12 at 16:11, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> On Fri, 13 Dec 2002, Ryurick M. Hristev wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 12 Dec 2002, Patrick Law wrote:
> >

> > > I don't have a lot experience in Linux,
> >
> > This is a key issue. You will have a very hard time going for RHCE
> > and I suspect likely for LPI as well.
>
> admittedly, i don't know as much about these as i'd like, but one
> major difference (i think) is that, until recently, even the *first*
> level of red hat certification was tough to get -- that was the
> RHCE.  there was nothing below that until recently, when RH introduced
> the ... um ... red hat certified administrator?  is that what it's called?
> it's a bit more entry-level, for those folks who wanted *something*
> official but weren't up for the RHCE.

Actually the test IS difficult. If you don't have experience, then
forget about it. Better practice, get your hands dirty with the OS a
couple of months and then take the exam.

When i got the test i saw a couple of guys that only knew Microsoft
stuff (and some others with pure AIX experience) and they got hammered.

> LPI, on the other hand, seems to have more entry-level official
> certification, and more levels that you can get as you become more
> competent.

I don't really like this certification because 'neutral vendor's is kind
of silly. I mean, if you work with Linux, you end using an specific
Linux distribution (not to talk the extra work to maintain several
different Linux breeds like Slackware, Redhat, Suse, etc together).

I think the idea of the RHCE is to prove than you know Redhat very well.
Being  generic is not very helpful when you have to deal with the
problems of a particular distro (on the other hand if you use Suse or
Slackware then LPI makes more sense).

Finally, invest your money wisely. Any certification costs money (time
is money too), and a recognized certification  will be more valuable if
is recognized among IT managers (no offense here, but thats the world we
live in).

Hope this helps.

JV.

> rday
>

> --

José Vicente Núñez Zuleta (josevnz at newbreak dot com)
Newbreak LLC System Administrator
http://www.newbreak.com
RHCE, SCJD, SCJP